This is the time of year when Cape Cod gets geared up to plant annuals and at Hyannis Country Garden we are thrilled to stock one of the largest selections of flowering plants in the area. In the front of the property we offer thousands of Proven Winners. These plants are New England Grown, and homeowners, garden geeks and professional landscapers alike love them. Brenda, our in-store container designer, uses many of these plants because they fill containers and look stunning from day one.
Here are a few tips for getting the most out of your Proven Winners annual plants:
- Be sure to use fresh potting soil in your containers and fill the entire container with the potting mix. Don’t put rocks, shards, mulch or other materials in the bottom if you can possibly help it…the roots end up in this “filler” where there is no soil or moisture.
- At Country Garden we’ve found that using a mix of equal parts time-release fertilizer (such as Osmocote) along with an organic fertilizer such as Flower-tone feeds the growth of these annuals all summer. Mix the combination of fertilizers into your potting soil or sprinkle on the surface of the garden where you’ll be planting your annuals. Given this mixture you won’t have to use a liquid fertilizer for the rest of the summer.
- When planting annuals that either hang down or grow long, pinch the the tips of any stems that are longer than 6″ when you plant. This will cause them to branch out and become more bushy. Scaevola, Supertunias, and Superbena all benefit from this pinching. As the summer goes on periodic pinching or cutting back of a few Supertunia stems will also encourage branched growth and this results in more flowers.
- Be sure to place your Proven Winners plants where they’ll get the light they desire. Any annual that’s labeled for full sun should be located where it will receive at least 5 hours of dead-on sun including the noon hour.
- Water your plants immediately after planting, even if rain is in the forecast.
Subscribe Our Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly email about sales and events.