The hummingbirds are back on Cape Cod! If you put out and maintain feeders, now is the time to get those cleaned and hung outside. Since it’s the planting season, it’s also the perfect time to put plants in your garden that are food sources for hummingbirds. Beginning around Memorial Day, you can also put annuals in your pots and boxes to draw hummers to your deck and patio. Here are some suggestions for plants that will lure these beauties to your yard.
Perennials to Attract Hummingbirds That Are Reliable on Cape Cod
- Bleeding hearts (Dicentra sp.)
- Bee balm (Monarda sp.)
- Catmint (Nepeta varieties)
- Coral bells (Heuchera sp.)
- Summer phlox (Phlox paniculata)
- Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
- Sage (Salvia varieties)
Annuals to Attract Hummingbirds To Gardens, Decks & Patios. Plant These in Containers or in The Ground.
- Cigar plant or bat-face cuphea (Cuphea varieties)
- Salvia ‘Black and Blue’ and other Salvias
- Tropical Hibiscus
- Agastache varieties (Some may be short-lived perennials here)
Shrubs to Attract Hummingbirds on Cape Cod
- Summersweet (Clethra varieties)
- Butterfly bush (Buddleia varieties)
- Spirea – pink flowering varieties
- Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus)
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly email about sales and events.